Predictive maintenance is now seen in many industries and is a widely accepted fact. This is mainly due to the many advantages that it gives. Being an essential tool for fault detection, predictive maintenance helps industries in many ways right from increasing productivity to reducing unscheduled downtimes.
In many of the process-oriented industries, this predictive maintenance has given immense positive results. Many plants have instituted this technique resulting in better processes. It also plays a major role in the implementation and execution of a successful maintenance management program.
Some of the advantages of predictive maintenance are as follows:
- It eliminates catastrophic equipment failures.
- It eliminates the costly downtime, thereby increasing profitable uptime.
- It eliminates overtime costs.
- All the equipment present in the plant will be operated at optimal levels.
- It is a proactive form of maintenance.
- Corrective actions can be taken before disaster strikes.
- Maintenance costs are considerably reduced.
- Machinery performance is optimized.
- Money on energy requirements is noticeably reduced, as machines run efficiently. (inefficient machines cause greater energy consumption)
- Standby equipment, as well as additional floor space, will not be required to cover up excessive downtime. And therefore, there is lesser capital investment.
- Predictive maintenance always increases the efficiency of the plant, thereby increasing the plant capacity.
- Well maintained machinery as a result of the PDM techniques helps in lesser depreciation of capital investment.
- Predictive maintenance improves the quality of the product.
- It gives better working conditions, taking into consideration worker safety aspects.
- The morale of the workers is better.
One of the most commonly used methods of predictive maintenance is the vibration analysis. It eliminates guess work and pinpoints the exact problem. The cost benefits of vibration analysis are great and extremely beneficial to the process-oriented industries and plants.